Dothan PCKrispy KremeArthur MedleyBill RobisonKennedy Land & TimberDustin FowlerMPILloyds WreckerTri-State ParkingFun ZoneSolomonNew York LifeDothan LivestockFlowers HospitalMedia MechanicGreg FaulkCherry & Irwin Personal Injury AttorneysChris MaddoxHardwick Flooring
Arthur Medley

UPDATED @ 9:30 PM 6:20 AM. Off Duty Dothan Police Officer Performing CPR

Rickey Stokes

Viewed: 9004

Posted by: RStokes
Date: May 09 2017 6:27 AM

DOTHAN:     At this time Dothan Police, Dothan Fire and Pilcher Ambulance are on the scene of Westgate Park where a person stopped breathing.

A off duty Dothan Police Officer was on the scene and first reported the subject was seizing. Then apparently the person stopped breathing and the Dothan Officer started doing CPR on the person.

Dothan Fire Engine 3 ( Westgate ), Pilcher Ambulance and other Dothan Police Officers are on the scene at this time.

UPDATED @ 9:30 PM   

This morning when the Dothan Fire Department and Pilcher Ambulance left Westgate Park enroute to Flowers Hospital they reported CPR in progress. And hearing the initial call that a off duty Dothan Police Officer was doing CPR while awaiting the medical units to arrive, I knew it was not good.

Later I found out it was a local attorney named Vernon. And the only one was Vernon Hein by the name Vernon.

Mr. Hein was a very nice and polite man. Often times I had seen him in the courthouse and chatted. He had just completed renovations of a beautiful office on West Main Street just west of Alice Street intersection. A project of which he had worked very hard on and restored a part of the Flowers Hospital property for his law office.

Mr. Hein was a kind man who will be missed. Prayers are with his family.


A little more than twenty years ago I was a law student employed as a clerk for an attorney whose office was in the heart of Dothan.

On my trip to work each day, I would drive past a tidy wood-frame house on Main Street. The house was quaint and inviting, with a large front porch and a couple of pecan trees in the front yard. It was uninhabited, but the yard was being kept up nicely.

I thought the house would make a great law office because it was not far from the courthouse, was right on main street, visible to passers by, and it just looked like an old-time law office.

Eventually, I got a member of the family that owned the house to show it to me. It was much larger inside than it appeared from the road. My guide told me the family would be willing to rent the house, but would not consider selling it.

Years passed and I purchased a beautiful, one-hundred-year-old house just south of downtown and renovated it for my office. But I kept an eye on the white wooden house on Main Street. It had deteriorated over the years and needed lots of work.

Eventually, the owner passed away and the family put the house up for sale. Vernon Hein, a local attorney, bought the house and over the next many months poured a great amount of money into fixing it up.

And what a terrific job he did.

A couple of months ago I dropped by Vernon's newly refinished office to discuss a case that he was interested in getting help with preparing for trial. When I walked in the front door I was amazed at the view that greeted me. The waiting room looked like a large study, with wall-to-wall shelves full of law books.

Vernon took me throughout the entire house. In each office the walls were richly paneled, and the wooden floors had been nicely refinished. Outside, the back yard and part of the front had been concreted for parking. Workmen were building a walkway from the rear parking lot to the front entrance. Vernon had not yet put up his sign outside.

A few weeks ago Vernon had a grand opening celebration. I was unable to attend, but I suggested to my friends that they go by and see how beautiful the house looked.

Over the following weeks, I saw a couple of brick columns being built in the front yard. I knew that a sign was coming.

Sure enough, just a few days ago, a sign went up that read, "Hein Law Firm."

What happened next was unfathomable.

The first thing this morning I heard a rumor that Vernon had died. I checked Facebook, the primary source of breaking news, but found nothing about Vernon.

I then placed a call to a reliable informant, who confirmed the truth from an authoritative source.

Vernon was gone.

How was that possible?

He had spent large sums of money restoring a beautiful old house. He had just finished that huge undertaking, and was settling in to begin practicing law in his showplace of an office. He was a fine gentleman whom everyone liked.

He had just put up his sign.

Vernon's death comes on the heels of the untimely death of Dothan attorney Mike Gamble, who passed away three weeks ago. The Wiregrass legal community has taken a hard hit.

Surely we know not what a day may bring forth. Prov. 27:1.

UPDATED @ 9:30 PM    6:20 AM. Off Duty Dothan Police Officer Performing CPR

First Funeral

<- back

Auto SmartGreg FaulkNantze SideKnights WreckerPC TechEspy Metcalf EspyBuddysKetchemsCherry & Irwin Personal Injury AttorneysFun ZoneKings ApplianceChris MaddoxDMGDothan Pest ControlFerhguson WreckerKrispy KremeBill RobisonMazdaHarley DavidsonFun ZoneJohnny Small EngineWiregrass Electric