3:15pm Tesla battery explodes in homeRickey Stokes
Posted by: RStokes
Date: Jan 31 2024 3:17 PM
CARY, N.C. - Officials say a low-voltage, lithium-ion battery from a Tesla exploded, sending heavy smoke through a North Carolina home.
Cary Police say the owners of the Tesla removed one of the batteries from the car and took it in their house to charge it Saturday. While it was being charged, the battery short-circuited, and heavy smoke was released.
Four people suffering from smoke inhalation were evacuated from the home.
The battery involved in the accident was not a large, high-voltage battery that serves as a motor for an electric vehicle, according to firefighters. It was a 12-voltage battery similar to what is used to start a gas-powered car.
Firefighters say the car’s owners were having trouble with the battery and couldn’t get a replacement, so they removed it and brought it inside to try to charge it. The owners did not follow manufacturers’ instructions, and the lithium-ion battery exploded.
Firefighters reiterated the explosion was caused by user error, and the correct chargers must be used for lithium-ion batteries.
“They had tried to get a replacement [and] were unable to, so they decided to try and charge the battery themselves,” said Battalion Chief Laird Van Gorden with the Cary Fire Department. “In this case, there are very specific directions that you’re supposed to follow, and they weren’t followed.”
Firefighters say the accident is why users should follow directions in the owner’s manual when charging any battery – whether it’s for a car, lawn equipment or even a toy.
Car batteries should not be charged indoors because any faulty battery could cause an explosion or fire, according to experts.