Hardwick FlooringKennedy Land & TimberFlowers HospitalThe PlantBig PineDustin FowlerChris MaddoxTri-State ParkingDothan LivestockDMGCherry & Irwin Personal Injury AttorneysMPISolomonGreg FaulkDothan PC

Bobby Kohen - A Tree Fell And Trapped On January 9 - UPDATES On His Progress

Rickey Stokes

Viewed: 3622

Posted by: RStokes
[email protected]
Date: Jan 18 2021 4:24 AM

ASHFORD:     It was Saturday, January 9... Ashford Fire Chief Jimmy Posey came over the radio and requested Dothan Fire Paramedics to respond. A tree had fell across a man and he was trapped.

Dothan Fire requested to know if heavy rescue equipment was needed. Chief Posey said no.

The patient was under the care of Ashford EMS, Jarrod Whitten.  The advanced medical group was needed for the advanced care and pushing of certain pain medications.

On the scene, Ashford Fire, Ashford EMS, Knights Wrecker, Dothan-Houston County Emergency Management Director Chris Judah, Houston County Commissioner Doug Sinquefield.

The victim was removed from being trapped. Loaded into the ambulance with Ashford EMS and Dothan Fire. He was transported to a Dothan Hospital.

After the ambulance left I learned it was Bobby Kohen A man that I attended church with for over 30 years. A great family who is and has been faithful in Christian service.

The following are posts from his son as the days have counted since that Saturday:

January 9

Long post alert!

Today was an incredibly scary day for the Kohen family. Just after 1:00 this afternoon, I got a call from my mom in a panic saying that a tree had just fallen on dad. He was clearing off land and cut down a tree that shifted on the way down and fell on both of his legs. By the time I got there, the Ashford paramedics had already arrived and he was in extreme pain. The fire department was able to lift the tree off of him, and we were able to pull him out from under the tree. They were then able to transport him to the hospital to figure out exactly what was going on. He dislocated his ankle, which tore some ligaments and skin and caused some slight fractures, but it popped back into place on its own at some point. They did have to do surgery to repair the damage done from the dislocation. He also suffered a pretty bad burn on the back of his calf from the chainsaw, but thankfully that was the only damage from the chainsaw itself. He’s now out of surgery and will be headed to a room shortly.

Now for the awesome part. When I got there, I honestly didn’t think my dad would be able to keep either of his legs. Not only are the injuries to his left leg WAY less traumatic than we originally thought, but his right leg has no injuries other than some bruising. It’s a true miracle that it was not as bad as we thought.

I can’t say thank you enough to those that were there taking care of dad today, especially Mark Kelley and Jarred Whitten. Our entire family could never thank y’all enough for your help today. Thank you to the Ashford EMS, Dothan EMS, and Ashford Fire department. We’re thankful for the staff at SE Health taking care of him while we can’t be there. We’re thankful for all the calls and text messages letting us know that you’re praying. I promise you they’re being heard by our God and felt by our family.


We got him home! He’s a little loopy, but doing great. Still waiting to see if a skin graft is needed from the burn on his calf, but the ankle is good to go other than rehabbing it back to normal. They did find an avulsion fracture in his wrist that we didn’t know about, but that’s supposed to heal on its own.


Again, we can’t thank y’all enough for checking up on him and offering help. We are truly blessed in so many ways. We serve a great God that definitely had His hand on dad. We’ll keep you updated as he continues to recover, but we’re sure glad to have him home!


Another update on Dad.

So after the episode the other day, the doctors wanted him to come back to the hospital and check out a few things. Long story short, combination of medicines and dehydration caused the craziness he was experiencing, and they got it all taken care of. Thankfully, they let mom stay with him and they’ve been there since Thursday.

Fast forward to today. They did go ahead and decide to do the skin graft, so they got that done this morning and he is doing great. We hope to have him home by Monday evening.

Thanks again for your continued prayers!

Bobby Kohen - A Tree Fell And Trapped On January 9 - UPDATES On His Progress

Bobby Kohen - A Tree Fell And Trapped On January 9 - UPDATES On His Progress

First Funeral

Bobby Kohen - A Tree Fell And Trapped On January 9 - UPDATES On His Progress

Bobby Kohen - A Tree Fell And Trapped On January 9 - UPDATES On His Progress

Bobby Kohen - A Tree Fell And Trapped On January 9 - UPDATES On His Progress

<- back

BuddysNantze SideGreg FaulkAuto SmartCherry & Irwin Personal Injury AttorneysWiregrass ElectricDMGBig PineChris MaddoxDothan Pest ControlMazdaFun ZoneBuddyHarley DavidsonFerhguson Wrecker