Houston County Commissioners Do Not Feel Sheriff Equal To Chief of PoliceRickey Stokes
Posted by: RStokes
Date: Nov 22 2021 11:01 AM
HOUSTON COUNTY: You will hear Commissioners Brandon Shoupe, Curtis Harvey, Doug Sinquefield, Ricky Herring and Chairman Mark Culver call Rickey Stokes a name and be critical.
You will perhaps hear unprofessional and immature tactics. Even some will say “twisted version of the truth by a angry blogger”.
But the actions of the Houston County Commission speak for themself:
1. D-3 Commissioner Ricky Herring did recuse himself from the vote because he is employed with Houston County Sheriff Department.
2. D-1 Commissioner Curtis Harvey was absent when the vote was taken.
3. The City of Dothan Commission and Mayor hired Dothan Police Chief Will Benny at $ 130,000.00 a year. A fair salary to command the Dothan Police Department.
4. The Sheriff can not get a raise during his term of office.
5. I brought the salary issue up because the salary for the Sheriff is $ 95,000.00 per year. Sheriff Valenza, because of the cost of living raises, is at $ 101,000.00.
6. In my opinion, the Sheriff, as Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the County, should make a salary equivalent to that of the Chief of Police of Dothan.
7. This morning a paper was placed before the Commission before the meeting asking them to add to the agenda and change their resolution to the Sheriff getting a salary equivalent to that of Dothan Police Chief.
8. Not one single commissioner mentioned it.
So the proof is in the actions, the ENTIRE HOUSTON COUNTY COMMISSION does not think the Sheriff of Houston County is worth the equivalent of the Dothan Police Chief as to salary.
The salary has to be set for the next four years, which needs to be done for the legislative term 2022. Sheriff Valenza did not ask for this but it needs to be done now so it can be advertised.
Yet a Houston County Commissioner makes $ 33,000.00 per year plus $ 250.00 a month auto allowance, in the Retirement Systems of Alabama and in ten years vested in the State Retirement System. And they also get health insurance benefits.
The City of Dothan “sits” in Houston County, not Houston County “sitting inside of” the City of Dothan.
Sheriff, sorry the members of the Houston County Commission does not think the Sheriff Department is equivalent to the City of Dothan. To the men and women of the Houston County Sheriff Department, sorry the members of the Houston County Commission feel the way they do.
NOTE: Sheriff did not ask for increase. RSN knows if not done this legislative session the salary is locked on for four years. The Commission went $ 10,000.00 under that of Chief of Police