WEC Promotes Event to Discuss Broadband in Rural AlabamaMatt Boster
Posted by: Matt Boster
Date: Sep 13 2019 7:54 PM
DOTHAN: Wiregrass Electric Cooperative announces a Yellowhammer News Shapers forum to encourage partnerships and community participation in efforts to expand broadband throughout rural Alabama. “Broadband technology is the gateway to improving economic development, health care, education and overall quality of life,” Wiregrass Electric Chief Operating Officer Brad Kimbro says. “This event will explain how grassroots partnerships and broadband expansion can transform the lives of those in rural Alabama.” On Tuesday, Yellowhammer News owner Tim Howe will moderate a forum of telecom industry experts at the Dothan Campus of Troy University. The panel will discuss efforts to expand the life-changing technology across the state. Members of the panel will be Kimbro, Alabama Sen. Donnie Chesteen, Troy Cable’s Jimmy Copeland, Troy University’s Carmen Lewis and Alabama Rural Electric Association’s Sean Strickler. Business and community leaders are encouraged to attend and learn how partnerships and community involvement can create real quality-of-life improvements as a result of high-speed broadband.
Topics will include:
• Creating successful partnerships to achieve goals
• Economic benefits and quality-of-life improvements of rural broadband
• Challenges facing future expansion
• Community awareness and involvement
• Expectations and next steps This is an excellent opportunity for government officials and business and community leaders to learn about the expansion of broadband in rural Alabama and the benefits it has for residents of those communities.
Date: Tuesday, Sept. 17 Time: 5-6:30 p.m.
Place: Troy University, Dothan Campus
• Everett Hall
• 502 University Drive
• Dothan, AL 36303